Build a Data Base about LFS, BLFS... The LDBFS

didbaba didbaba at free.fr
Sun Oct 14 05:54:27 PDT 2001

Hello,
A month ago, I started to work on DB...

My primary goal is build a DB with the differents packages, and
translate the LFS book into a DB. My english is bad so i wrote it in
french, and as anyone, I made some script to build LFS faster. But I
think that ALFS is certainly better than my script, helas it's not
finished...
Actually, what I'm testing is the static LFS part in a DB, on
http://didbaba.free.fr/linux.php3 (if you try too look at, do not be afraid
of waiting because my provider free is very slow).

It's just a try, but now I see what I can obtain with DB and PHP. This
is what I think I (or we ? :-) could do. I'm certainly dreaming because
it's an enormous work (and in english).

************ The From Scratch Data Base Project **********************

Table Package :

-------------------
Package
-------------------
Option (static,dynamique...)
Description
Compilation
Configuration
Utilisation

Table Source : where to find source
-------------------
Source
-------------------
Package
ftp1
ftp2
http1
http2

Table Patch : if a patch exist on a Package
-------------------
Patch
-------------------
package
version
patch
source
pseudo
date
description

Table Dependance :
-------------------
Dependance
-------------------
Package
Need Package

Table Commentary : For people to propose something about a package, with
answer
-------------------
Commentary
-------------------
package
Commentary
Reponse ?
pseudo
date

With that sort of DB, someone could ask : Want to build a server from
scratch with : ftp, apache and postfix what do I need ?
The reponse is a list of package, with all dependance...

It could be a dynamic book, see this many times in the list

I know it's a dream, because there is too many parameters, and the
version of a package is changing so fast... But it's good to dream on a
so gloomy sunday.

--
didbaba