Compose key

Jeroen Coumans jeroencoumans at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 13 15:55:11 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brendan Taylor" <craftian at subdimension.com>
To: <blfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2001 12:27 AM
Subject: Compose key

> While rebuilding my LFS system (an accident involving hdparm and unread
manuals) I discovered that when you hit one of the Windows keys and then a
combination of letters, you get characters that aren't on the keyboard (¶,
ÿ, etc).

> This doesn't work quite as planned in LFS.  Characters aren't what they're
supposed to be.
> For example, compose e = is supposed to yield the Euro character, but all
that shows up on the console is a blank rectangle, and compose C ) is just a
capital R instead of a copyright sign.

> I fiddled around with the console font for a while, but never found
anything of use.

> Also, if I try to use a special character when logging in, the character
doesn't display and the backspace key stops working on that agetty.

> Did I mess something up?  Is this a localization setting (I have $LANG set
to en_CA and $LC_COLLATE to C) I'm missing, or do I just need to spend more
time looking for the right console font?
> --
> # cat /dev/null >corporate-amerika
> --

You'll have to adjust your keyboard mappings to do these things. Look in
/usr/share/kbd, IIRC there's a keyboard mapping which does just what you
want. You can gunzip m and edit in your favorite editor. They're even
commented! Adjust /etc/sysconfig/keyboard (?) to point at your adjusted
mapping.
Also, you can find more info on www.linuxdoc.org, there are some howto's
dealing with keyboard mappings (backspace-delete-howto,
keyboard-and-console-howto) and IIRC there's even a NHF for using the
compose key at www.linuxnewbie.org.
For other settings related to the keyboard, you can tweak /etc/inputrc, have
a look at the archives for some examples.
HTH
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org