VMWare and LFS

Dave Ayers fogey at mindspring.com
Sat Oct 13 10:26:54 PDT 2001

I am a long-time user of Quicken and Turbotax running in a VMWare
2.0 virtual Win98 machine on my Caldera eDesktop 2.4 system with
a 2.2.19 kernel. It runs flawlessly for me, but I am hoping to
someday migrate everything to a LFS system and honorably retire
my e2.4.

So I installed the latest VMWare 3.0 beta (build 1424) on my LFS
system running 2.4.7 kernel and Xfree86 4.1. My desktop is xfce
3.8.5, and I have successfully (I think) configured a Win98
virtual machine with Quicken and Turbotax. So far it seems solid.
Here are some notes on the installation for anyone interested.

I unpacked the tarball in my chroot environment on e2.4 and ran
the install script per instructions. I also downloaded the draft
manual (pdf) which would probably be helpful if you had't used
vmware before. When I tried the configuration script, it didn't
fly, so I rebooted into my LFS system and ran the configuration
script there. No problems. (IMO VMWare has some of the best
install scripts you'll ever see. Each step is well-explained.)

Running vmware for the first time gave a warning that the
xfree86-dga extension was not initialized. This prevented
full-screen display of the virtual machine, although it still
functioned in a window. The vmware site recommends downgrading X
to 3.34 to get it to work, but I poked around and found that all
I had to do was to edit my /etc/X11/XF86Config. In the Module
section, look for:

	SubSection "extmod"
           Option  "omit xfree86-dga"  # don't initialize dga
extension
	EndSubSection

Just comment out the option line. The man page says that the
first line loads several extensions and they can be operated on
with various options. Omitting the option above allows dga to be
loaded and initialized.

I also get a mild complaint when starting vmware that the high
resolution timer (/dev/rtc) is missing. This may cause on-screen
motions to be uneven, but I haven't noticed any serious problem.
Anyone know how to add this timer to LFS?

Dave

--
David C. Ayers
Quincy, Illinois, USA