Kernel 2.4.12 and counting.... ;-)

Marc Heerdink marc at koelkast.net
Fri Oct 12 16:50:56 PDT 2001

R. Bosch sent these bits on Fri, 12 Oct 2001 23:31:47 +0000:
> I recently updated my kernel to 2.4.11 and the next day I noticed that
> 2.4.12
> was already there (gotten hasty?). So I looked to the changlog and found
> little more than 5 or 6 changes.
> Then I went to the ftp site, and noticed that the files from 2.4.11 are
> marked as "donotuse". So, I took the patch to 2.4.12 and applied it.
> Then I did [make bzImage] and soon I got an error about the IEE1284.
> This IEE1284 thing is for the parport.
>
> Can somone tell me / us why it's not wise to use 2.4.11?

2.4.11 is seriously broken, the bug with parport you're describing is
well-known. We've had a discussion about this on lfs-dev, so if u want to
read the details, flip over to http://search.linuxfromscratch.org/. Topic:
Linux 2.4.12 released (started by Jean-Claude Repetto)

- L. Flon

Marc Heerdink
marc at koelkast.net
http://www.koelkast.net/