Nothing like Getright? (was Re: kernel -2.4.10/11 and vfat)

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Fri Oct 12 15:14:37 PDT 2001

On 12 Oct 2001, at 10:39, jerry wrote:

> > For what it's worth, I've had this situation - vfat files having exec
> > permissons - on every single Linux installation I've done. That includes
> > most
>
> > Redhat versions since 5.0, several versions of Mandrake, and various LFS
> > builds. Certainly, it's nothing unusual about this kernel version.
> >
> I do not think that fat or vfat has the concept of permission bits so the
> fs is probably just saving  you some trouble if you have created or copied
> an elf file to a vfat partition. Bash will then at least try to execute and
> let the kernel decide if it is really executable. jpd -- Unsubscribe: send
> email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org and put 'unsubscribe blfs-support' in
> the subject header of the message

And I think it's necessary because of the directories. IIRC I once set the
permissions parameter to not include the x bit and this prevented normal
users from entering directories on fat media.

MSB

----
Where...the ENIAC is equipped with 18000 vacuum tubes and weighs 30 tons,
computers in the future may have 1000 vacuum tubes and perhaps weigh just
1-1/2 tons.

Popular Mechanics, March 1949, p.258

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org