lfs-packages-cvs-20010926-0930.tar

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.uklinux.net
Fri Oct 12 12:27:04 PDT 2001

Hello All,

Got the above package via a CD and have had a couple of problems; one of
then due to using a very new kernel 2.4.10

First the package file-3.36.tar.bz2, was 3.34 on my original LFS.  This did
not compile for me.  The problem was thar the configure script was not
finding the definitions of uint6, uint16, ....

The result was that it decided it was not an elf machine and generated lots
of compile errors.

The fields are defined in stdint.h;  perhaps this has changed like time.h
changed.  Anyway,  I am attaching a patch for file-3.36, so that it will
compile into a working program.

Now the kernel problem.  Sometime about version 2.4.10 they have changed
the definitions of DOS_EXTENDED_PARTITION, LINUX_EXTENDED_PARTITION from a
#define to an enum.

The result is that lilo-21.7.5 does not compile.  The simple fix is to edit
partitions.c and find these lines:

/* For older kernels ... */

#ifndef DOS_EXTENDED_PARTITION
#define DOS_EXTENDED_PARTITION EXTENDED_PARTITION
#endif

#ifndef LINUX_EXTENDED_PARTITION
#define LINUX_EXTENDED_PARTITION EXTENDED_PARTITION
#endif

and delete them.  lilo will then compile.

Chris