kernel -2.4.10/11 and vfat

Mike Hildebrandt mikeh at insight.org
Thu Oct 11 10:03:37 PDT 2001

I've always noticed this behavior, no matter what kernel version I used.  I
attributed it to the fact that as VFAT doesn't support permissions in the
same way as Ext2, Linux automatically showed everything as executable.  And
when I copy files from a VFAT to EXT2 partition they stay as executable
unless I do a chmod a-x *.

Perhaps there's a configuration option to change this?