Internet sharing

Fernando Arbeiza arbeizaf at ono.com
Fri Oct 12 04:55:05 PDT 2001

On Fri 12 Oct 2001 13:20, Simon Geard wrote:
> On Friday 12 October 2001 07:48, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm happily running LFS on my laptop, but this has a winmodem (a
> > hamr5600) which I can't get to work. So unfortunately, I'm still stuck to
> > using windows on my dad's computer. I use samba for filesharing. How can
> > I setup these two to use internet sharing? I want to dial on demand via
> > my laptop, but fetch mail with my own linux programs. Pointers to guides
> > or howto's all happily accepted of course(allmost all documentation I
> > read is the other way around - winboxes connecting via linux).
> > I'm getting a bit tired of Outlook, especially if I read my own mail (all
> > the quotes are wrong, can't seem to get them right)
> > TIA
>
> I tried this in the past, but eventually gave up in frustration. My parents
> computer (a Win98 box) used to have a fast connection (microwave based),
> but drivers for the hardware were only available for Windows. After some
> months of trying to get the machine to share a connection, I gave up and
> started downloading large stuff on the other machine, then ftping them to
> my linux box.
>
> Windows simply isn't good at that kind of thing - I couldn't get connection
> sharing working even with my box booted into Windows, let alone with Linux.
>
> Simon.

I did that some time ago, and all worked fine, but I'm using Windows 2000 Pro
(I don't know if you can make it work with Win98). I don't remember the
details (I don't use Windows now), but I checked the Conection sharing box in
the Ethernet card properties menu (in Windows). And then it started running a
dhcp server. Then, I installed the dhcp daemon in my linux box, and all
seemed to work.

(I know I haven't been of great help, but I only wanted to tell that it
worked for me.)

--
Fernando Arbeiza
Cantabria, Spain