Nothing like Getright? (was Re: kernel -2.4.10/11 and vfat)

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Fri Oct 12 04:31:54 PDT 2001

On Friday 12 October 2001 13:46, J.A. Neitzel wrote:

> mount: block device /dev/fd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
> /dev/fd0 on /mnt/floppy type vfat (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=jan)
>
> It's mounted with "noexec", but `ls -l' gives me:
>
> for every file. Now, it didn't do that the last time I mounted a
> vfat filesystem with those mount options... Hmmm, that was with a
> 2.2.18 kernel. This is with a 2.4.10 kernel. Do I see "BUG"???

According to the mount manpage, the noexec option simply stops binaries from
being executed. It doesn't say anything about changing the permissions on
them.

For what it's worth, I've had this situation - vfat files having exec
permissons - on every single Linux installation I've done. That includes most
Redhat versions since 5.0, several versions of Mandrake, and various LFS
builds. Certainly, it's nothing unusual about this kernel version.

If you really want it fixed, play around with some of the permissions options
in the 'mount' manpage.

Simon.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org