Internet sharing

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Fri Oct 12 04:20:04 PDT 2001

On Friday 12 October 2001 07:48, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm happily running LFS on my laptop, but this has a winmodem (a hamr5600)
> which I can't get to work. So unfortunately, I'm still stuck to using
> windows on my dad's computer. I use samba for filesharing. How can I setup
> these two to use internet sharing? I want to dial on demand via my laptop,
> but fetch mail with my own linux programs. Pointers to guides or howto's
> all happily accepted of course(allmost all documentation I read is the
> other way around - winboxes connecting via linux).
> I'm getting a bit tired of Outlook, especially if I read my own mail (all
> the quotes are wrong, can't seem to get them right)
> TIA

I tried this in the past, but eventually gave up in frustration. My parents
computer (a Win98 box) used to have a fast connection (microwave based), but
drivers for the hardware were only available for Windows. After some months
of trying to get the machine to share a connection, I gave up and started
downloading large stuff on the other machine, then ftping them to my linux
box.

Windows simply isn't good at that kind of thing - I couldn't get connection
sharing working even with my box booted into Windows, let alone with Linux.

Simon.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org