Fonts

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Fri Oct 12 04:15:13 PDT 2001

On Friday 12 October 2001 12:32, Craig Colton wrote:
> It's too bad that QT/KDE can't be be broken into smaller pieces, so that it
> doesn't require such a commimitment to get it started. E.g.:
> /usr/local/kde - 185.2 MB
> /usr/local/qt - 76.6 MB

Firstly, Qt is only that size if you leave all the source code and things in
place. With nothing but the bin, lib, and include directories, it's only 16Mb
- though it still takes ages to compile, and there's no way (save editing
Makefiles) to skip the examples and tutorials and all.

As for KDE being 182Mb, is that a full install of every single package? Mine
(2.1.2) is only 80Mb - that's the base, libs, and network packages only.

I agree though - a simple window manager (rather than desktop environment) is
much smaller and quicker to install. I use WindowMaker myself, and have KDE
only for some of the programs it provides - I dislike the interface.

Simon.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org