qlogin not working on a CD

Fernando Arbeiza arbeizaf at ono.com
Fri Oct 12 04:03:57 PDT 2001

On Fri 12 Oct 2001 10:31, Chris Lingard wrote:

> > At last, the bootable CD seems to work. I'm still using run-levels in it,
> > but I removed the login and qlogin programs. Instead, I changed the
> > agetty command in /etc/inittab:
> >
> > 1:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -n -l '/bin/bash' tty1 9600
> >
> > Then, agetty invoke bash, instead of login. Perhaps, it's not the best
> > solution. Comments?
>
> If it works, then it is good.

Well, it works, but I had to include a file /.bashrc in the CD root directory
like this:

	HOME=/root
	HISTFILE=/root/.bash_history
	source /etc/profile
	source ${HOME}/.bash_profile

in order to load properly all the bash configuration.

> You could make /etc writable by un-taring it on startup.

I've tried that, mounting /etc as a tmpfs and untarring all the files I want.
But, as the original files from the /etc directory in the CD became
unreachable, the rc bootscript refused to continue. Then, I decided to use
symbolic links to files in /tmp (as I mounted that directory as tmpfs) for
some files that need to be written.

--
Fernando Arbeiza
Cantabria, Spain