Fonts

Craig Colton meerkats at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 11 16:32:17 PDT 2001

On Thursday 11 October 2001 06:05 am, you wrote:
> On Thursday 11 October 2001 13:40, Craig Colton wrote:
> >     I could be wrong here, but I thought that antialiased fonts were
> > enabled via Xft options in one's X and QT build (i.e. not specifically in
> > XftConfig). Since Keith Packard's XftConfig substitutes truetype for
> > Type1 fonts, I had assumed that Type1 don't antialias well (not at all?).
> >
> >    The hint is old, but I am using it with XFree86 4.1, QT 2.3.1, and KDE
> > 2.2. I am not using his QT kernel, but am using his XftConfig and
> > TrueType fonts. All my fonts here are antialiased, but not the icons
> > (which I think were when using KP's kernel).
>
> Does antialiasing appear automatically in X apps? E.g xfontsel, xman? On
> the system I'm experimenting on, I haven't bothered with KDE yet, since I
> wanted to get this working first.
>
> Simon.

"All my fonts here are antialiased...." Quite a dumb statement on my part.
None of my X apps show aa'ed fonts - Xmag was quite hard to check :)   That
goes for all of my GTK stuff too (as I guess you'd expect). Sorry for the
misinformation.
It's too bad that QT/KDE can't be be broken into smaller pieces, so that it
doesn't require such a commimitment to get it started. E.g.:
/usr/local/kde - 185.2 MB
/usr/local/qt - 76.6 MB
and
/usr/local/share/WindowMaker - 949.0 KB :)

Regards,
Craig

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org