Trouble with ssh

Adam Sutton adam at adamsutton.co.uk
Thu Oct 11 11:03:05 PDT 2001

> On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 05:13:45PM +0100, Adam Sutton wrote:
> > I tried several machines including the local machine, all of which I can
> > access from root account and from my windows box.
>
> Ok, this looks like a server side problem. Does /var/log/auth.log
> daemon.log or sys.log contain any errors? Perhaps a permission problem on
> the server so it's not able to check the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow
files.

I don't think it is server side, since I only have problems with the ssh
client
I have installed on the LFS system, so I am assuming I must have got
something
wrong when I built/configured it.

> If you can't find obvious permission problems, let's run in debugging
mode.

> On the server, run this as root:
>
> sshd -d -p 12345

The machines I am connecting to (except my the one on which I am running the
client) are not my own, they are my webhost and university accounts, so this
is not an option, and I doubt it is server side.

> [ snip ]

Thanks anyway

Adam

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org