Trouble with ssh

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Oct 11 10:39:11 PDT 2001

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 05:13:45PM +0100, Adam Sutton wrote:
> I tried several machines including the local machine, all of which I can
> access from root account and from my windows box.

Ok, this looks like a server side problem. Does /var/log/auth.log
daemon.log or sys.log contain any errors? Perhaps a permission problem on
the server so it's not able to check the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files.

If you can't find obvious permission problems, let's run in debugging mode.

On the server, run this as root:

sshd -d -p 12345

as the non-root that's not able to ssh right now, run this:
	ssh -v someone at somewhere -p 12345

now look at both terminals' where sshd and ssh are running with verbose and
debugging information. Hopefully you'll be able to spot something that can
help you in fixing the problem.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org