Trouble with ssh

J.A. Neitzel jan.listbox at belvento.org
Thu Oct 11 08:39:11 PDT 2001

Adam Sutton wrote:

> I am having trouble using the ssh client, (which I installed as per the
> openssh hint).
>
> I can use the various clients ssh, scp etc... fine as root but when I
> attempt to use them as a normal user I get the following message
>
> # ssh -l someone somewhere
> Permission denied, please try again.
> Permission denied, please try again.
> Permission denied (publickey,password).

Try using the "-v" flag to ssh and see what more it tells you. This
will just give you some possibly helpful debugging info.

I don't want to ask anything silly, but do you have an account for
"someone" on the "somewhere" machine? Does it ask you for a password
before giving you "Permission denied, please try again."?

Also, it may be useful to check if both "normal user" AND "root" have
a ~/.ssh directory. If so, are they different?

You didn't say much about where is this "somewhere" machine. It's not
localhost is it? It's actually another machine? Just some ideas...
--
Jeff

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org