glibc installation problem

sachin lamsoge sach7ue at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 10 22:02:43 PDT 2001

hi all,

	i am following LFS-BOOK 3.0. and i am working on
redhat 7.0. i am going step by step as described inthe
book. i am getting the following error while
installing Glibc2.2.4.

*** An auxiliary program is missing or too old;
*** some features will be disabled.
*** Check the INSTALL file for required versions.
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a
cross-compiler... (cached) yes
checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
checking how to run the C preprocessor... /lib/cpp
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking whether as is GNU as... no
checking whether ld is GNU ld... no
checking for mig... mig
checking whether ranlib is necessary... gcc:
installation problem, cannot exec `as': No such file
or directory
../glibc-2.2.1/configure: /usr/bin/ar: No such file or
directory
cp: cannot stat `conftest.a': No such file or
directory
../glibc-2.2.1/configure: /usr/bin/ranlib: No such
file or directory
yes
checking LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable... ok
checking for bash... /bin/sh
checking for mawk... mawk
checking for perl... no
checking for install-info... /usr/bin/install-info
checking for old Debian install-info... no
checking for signed size_t type... no
checking for libc-friendly stddef.h... no
checking whether we need to use -P to assemble .S
files... yes
checking whether .text pseudo-op must be used... no
checking for assembler global-symbol directive...
UNKNOWN
configure: error: cannot determine asm global
directive
I have no name!:/usr/src/3.0-pre4/glibc-build#

while i have ar and ranlib and ar in /usr/bin

kindly help me

sachin lamsoge

=====
sachin lamsoge