Fonts

Craig Colton meerkats at bellsouth.net
Wed Oct 10 17:40:03 PDT 2001

On Wednesday 10 October 2001 06:40 am, you wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 October 2001 15:22, Craig Colton wrote:
> > Here's a hint from Keith Packard from a couple of months ago that may
> > help. I couldn't get his QT to compile with KDE2.2 (it works with 2.1),
> > but even without it, it leaves you with a nice desktop. Might be worth
> > looking at.
>
> That hint is quite old now - it refers, for example, to XFree86 4.0.1 as
> the most recent release. Recent versions of Qt already have Xft support
> built in.
>
> Question - his XftConfig doesn't specifically enable antialiasing... is it
> default for all fonts in the Type1 and ttf directories? It's one of the
> things I'm working on...
>
> Simon.

    I could be wrong here, but I thought that antialiased fonts were enabled
via Xft options in one's X and QT build (i.e. not specifically in XftConfig).
Since Keith Packard's XftConfig substitutes truetype for Type1 fonts, I had
assumed that Type1 don't antialias well (not at all?).
   The hint is old, but I am using it with XFree86 4.1, QT 2.3.1, and KDE
2.2. I am not using his QT kernel, but am using his XftConfig and TrueType
fonts. All my fonts here are antialiased, but not the icons (which I think
were when using KP's kernel).
    Regards,
    Craig

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org