System cache

J.A. Neitzel jan.listbox at belvento.org
Wed Oct 10 08:53:30 PDT 2001

Reboant wrote:
> Guys I just doubled my memory to 256m and it seems thats still not enough
> .Seems the cache just won't stop growing(especially when compiling).Is there a
> way to clear this darn thing  manually?Better yet is there a way to have it
> done automatically?At first I thought it was a memory leak but it stay
> constant at 143 megs.Never hit swap like I use to but things do start slowing
> down especially in kde-2.2.1.For now the only way I have to free that memory
> is to reboot and thats not really a very good option.What can I do about this?
> Thanks

What kernel version are you using? I use 2.4.10 currently with no problem.
This is all while X is running? What happens when you then stop X?
Can I ask..? When you say "cache", where do you get the number 143?

Do you get this info from `free' as below?                        !vvvvvv!
Mem:        126844     120836       6008          0       2108      45620
-/+ buffers/cache:      73108      53736
Swap:       128480      31104      97376

<off topic?>
Ignore the swap above... I use a lot of swap because use tmpfs. When I
don't use tmpfs swap usage stays below 5 megs always, even when compiling
stuff.
</off topic?>

Anyway, your question about cache (see !vvvvvv! above)... The number
reported by cached is going change quite a bit. Depends on what programs
you are running at the time. If you compile some big thing like glibc,
kdelibs (--enable-final), XFree86, while running kde-2.x.x you will most
certainly notice lots of interesting things happening with your memory.

Try some of those as an experiment.
Just compile (make), not make install, for fun and look how the memory
system changes while this happens. free and xosview are good.
--
Jeff

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org