Apparently now Civ - Was Re: security

Craig M.Reece craigthulu at littlethulu.craigthulu.com
Wed Oct 10 03:33:12 PDT 2001

On Wednesday 10 October 2001 06:26 am, Simon Geard wrote thusly:
> On Wednesday 10 October 2001 01:38, Joachim Blaabjerg wrote:
> > By all means, check out www.freeciv.org !! IMHO, it's far better than
> > both Civilization I and II, and it's free, open source and actively
> > maintained and developed... The ultimate game!
>
> Yes, it is free, open-source, and actively developed. But it just doesn't
> feel the same as the original Civilisation. A large part of that, I think,
> it that it's a basic GTK interface, using popup windows. While the map
> graphics are great, it doesn't have the nice graphics of the real thing -
> you can't click on the city and see all your buildings and wonders spread
> out before you. All you get is a list box.
>
> I quite like the various Loki Civ games (CTP, SMAC) for that. It's still
> not the same as the original, but they provide a nice game environment. A
> standard desktop interface (gtk, qt, windows, etc) is fine for simple
> games, but for anything immersive, I like the rest of the trappings.
>
> Simon.

Firaxis is about to release Civ III (of course I will wait for at least the
first patch before buying a copy) and I expect to see the freeciv people to
implement features from it as soon as they get to fiddle with it :)

Another feature of freeciv you guys didn't mention is the awesome network
playability. The "official" versions never played well with others. On the
other hand, the "official" versions have much better AIs...
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org