security

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Wed Oct 10 03:26:41 PDT 2001

On Wednesday 10 October 2001 01:38, Joachim Blaabjerg wrote:

> By all means, check out www.freeciv.org !! IMHO, it's far better than both
> Civilization I and II, and it's free, open source and actively maintained
> and developed... The ultimate game!

Yes, it is free, open-source, and actively developed. But it just doesn't
feel the same as the original Civilisation. A large part of that, I think, it
that it's a basic GTK interface, using popup windows. While the map graphics
are great, it doesn't have the nice graphics of the real thing - you can't
click on the city and see all your buildings and wonders spread out before
you. All you get is a list box.

I quite like the various Loki Civ games (CTP, SMAC) for that. It's still not
the same as the original, but they provide a nice game environment. A
standard desktop interface (gtk, qt, windows, etc) is fine for simple games,
but for anything immersive, I like the rest of the trappings.

Simon.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org