startx

Ian Molton imolton at clara.net
Wed Oct 10 00:29:57 PDT 2001

On stardate Wed, 10 Oct 2001 08:43:41 +0200
texstefano at libero.it began the full scale invasion of earth with the
following words:

> I was able to run X11 only  the very first time after running
> xf86config, after then i get "host name lookup failure  cannot open
> /var/log/xfree86.0.log" every time i run startx as root or user.
> Furthermore it  recognizes the command only if i login as user, but
> not if i'm root (?). My /root/.bash_profile and
> /home/$user/.bash_profile are the same so i can't figure out why i
> must set the PATH before execute startx for root and not for user.
> Thanks,

try the following:

touch /var/log/xfree86.0.log (as root)

then see if the logging problem goes away.

to fix the hostname thing, just alias localhost or your machines ip in
/etc/hosts depending on wether you are on dynamic / static IP respectively.

eg. in my hosts file (Im on dyn IP), I have:

127.0.0.1 mnementh localhost   <---- see?
192.168.1.3 polenth
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org