Fonts

Gregory Davis gdavis7 at umbc.edu
Tue Oct 9 08:59:02 PDT 2001

If you have ever dealt with fonts in Windows, you will actually appreciate
that OS for something (at least).  I am going to assume the fonts actually
are anti-aliased, they are simply ugly and you want new ones.  For AA
fonts, you need either truetype or type 1.  I actually copied my (243.2)
Windows truetype fonts into a separate directory in linux.  From there, you
need to create a "fonts.dir" file for that directory.  This can be done
with a "ttmkfdir" utility, which in turn depends on the Freetype 1 library
(not the one built into X).  Once you made the fonts.dir file, you need to
edit your "Xftconfig" file (in /etc/X11) to include all the type 1 and
truetype font directories.  A sample entry is as follows:

dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/<fontdir>"

You then should comment that fontdir out of the "XF86Config" file in the
"Fontpath" section, also in /etc/X11.  While in that XF86Config file, make
sure you load the module "freetype" under the Section "Module".

There is a cool guy named Keith Packard who bundles a few basic truetype
fonts with a sample Xftconfig file, but I don't remember the URL for his
stuff.  He works with XFree86.

Other URLS of interest:
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/font_howto/ -> Donovan Rebecchi's guide
http://www.freetype.org -> freetype homepage