OT: How to debug ZIP drive

Skip Gaede sgaede at mediaone.net
Tue Oct 9 06:27:01 PDT 2001

Hi,

I have a multiboot system with Windows and multiple flavors of Linux. I
have an internal ATAPI Zip drive that works fine under Windows. I cannot
read or do sustained writes (format) media in the drive under Linux. This
includes Mandrake 8.0 (2.4.3 kernel), Red Hat (2.4.2 kernel) and LFS
(various kernels: 2.4.5,8,9,10).

I have read the mini ZIP drive HOWTO, and from what I've been able to
discover, no one believes dealing with a ZIP drive shouls be a problem.

The failure formatting (mke2fs) occurs at the line where it says writing
out superblocks and accounting information. The drive light goes out and I
see a number of timeouts and missing interrupts.

Here's a snip from my log file for one of the failures. (It doesn't seem to
matter whether the drive is handled by ide-floppy or by the scsi driver.)

hdc: IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI Floppy, ATAPI FLOPPY drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
ide-floppy driver 0.97.sv
hdc: No disk in drive
hdc: 98304kB, 96/64/32 CHS, 4096 kBps, 512 sector size, 2941 rpm

hdc: hdc4
VFS: Disk change detected on device ide1(22,4)
hdc: hdc4
ide-floppy: hdc: I/O error, pc = 28, key = 5, asc = 21, ascq =  0
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:04 (hdc),sector 196496
ide-floppy: hdc: I/O error, pc = 28, key = 5, asc = 21, ascq =  0
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:04 (hdc), sector 196498
ide-floppy: hdc: I/O error, pc = 28, key = 5, asc = 21, ascq =  0

I *really* could use some help.

Thanks,
Skip

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org