Installing Lilo without Linux

drowsy at users.sourceforge.net drowsy at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Oct 8 15:40:00 PDT 2001

On Mon, 8 Oct 2001, Sanjuro Europe wrote:

>I am moving my partitions around and have decided to back up my LFS
>partition to a CD using Ghost so I can freely move my Windows partitions
>around. And after that using Ghost to put my partition back.
>
>But how do I make my partition bootable again? Can I make a bootdisk
>with chroot do I can install Lilo? I have tried to bootdisk hint but
>there is now documentation and it doesn't work for me.
>
>How do I make a bootdisk (with chroot) or are there other solutions
>(except first installing Redhat/Mandrake/Suse and using their chroot).
>
>Thanks,
>
>Sanjuro

My solution to this was the loadlin utility  .. I'd copy my kernel
to either a dos-formatted floppy or to my windows partition, then
once windows had bludgeoned the MBR, boot into real-mode dos, then

loadlin kernel.img 3 root=/dev/hda5

then run put lilo back.

note that if you move your patitions round, you may need to boot into
runlevel 1 and edit /etc/fstab and /etc/lilo.conf to point at the new
partions.

There's always more than one way to do it, this is simply what worked
for me.

Shaun.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org