/etc/mtab in a read-only medium

Fernando Arbeiza arbeizaf at ono.com
Mon Oct 8 14:54:11 PDT 2001

On Mon 08 Oct 2001 20:14, Guillermo Pereyra Irujo wrote:

> > > But I make /tmp a link to a directory in the ramdisk. Is there any
> > > problem with that?
> >
> > Should be OK...
>
> Why not just mount a tmpfs on /tmp?
>
> In my cd I've done:
>
> mount -t tmpfs -n tmpfs /tmp
> mount -t tmpfs -f -o remount tmpfs /tmp
> mount -t tmpfs tmpfs /usr/tmp
> mount -t tmpfs tmpfs /var/lock
> mount -t tmpfs tmpfs /var/log
> mount -t tmpfs tmpfs /var/run
> mount -t tmpfs tmpfs /root
> mount -t tmpfs tmpfs /home/gpirujo
> mount -t tmpfs tmpfs /config
> cd / && tar xf /dev/floppy/0
>
> Variable stuff like /etc/profile or /etc/hosts are links to /config/*, and
> /config/*, /home/gpirujo/* and /root/* are all tarred to a diskette at
> shutdown and untarred at startup. As tmpfs takes as much memory as its
> contents need, I can mount as many as I want.

It sounds quite nice. I confess I didn't use tmpfs because I knew nothing
about it. Ramdisk sounds much more familiar to me. But I will re-make the
bootCD using this approach. I hope you will be there, just in case. Thank you
very much.

> /etc/mtab is a symlink to /tmp/mtab in my case and that's why /tmp is
> mounted twice.
>
> > You can make a swap partition out of RAM, and put that into the fstab if
> > you want.
>
> This is useless. The memory freed by the swapping operation will be eaten
> by the ramdisk.

And I don't want the hard disk to do nothing when I boot from the CD.

Muchas gracias de nuevo,

Fernando Arbeiza
Cantabria, Spain
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org