/etc/mtab in a read-only medium

Fernando Arbeiza arbeizaf at ono.com
Mon Oct 8 14:46:25 PDT 2001

On Mon 08 Oct 2001 21:37, Chris Lingard wrote:

> > But I had a little problem: I tarred my /var from my LFS system (that I
> > installed in the hard disk) to untar it into ramdisk (soon, into tmpfs)
> > at the bootup from the CD. Well, the problem was:
> >
> > At the bootscript that untar /var, I wrote:
> >
> > tar --extract --ungzip --directory=/mnt/rd --file=/boot/var.tar.gz
>
> No need to un-tar var.  Just make a new one, like when you set up LFS:
>
> mkdir var
> cd var
> mkdir lib lock log mail run spool tmp opt cache lib/misc local

I confess I followed this step from the BootCD hint without thinking and
reading about it. But thanks for the advice.

And, (now I have read it on the LFS book), I think you have also to create
some files:

	touch /var/run/utmp /var/log/wtmp /var/log/btmp /var/log/lastlog &&
	chmod 644 /var/run/utmp /var/log/wtmp /var/log/btmp /var/log/lastlog

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org