Installing Lilo without Linux

J.A. Neitzel jan.listbox at belvento.org
Mon Oct 8 14:23:53 PDT 2001

Guillermo Pereyra Irujo wrote:
<snip />
>> How do I make a bootdisk (with chroot) or are there other solutions
>> (except first installing Redhat/Mandrake/Suse and using their chroot).
>
> There's no need for a shell and chroot, not even for lilo. Make an image
> of the kernel and tell it to mount your lfs partition as root with:
>
> dd if=/dev/kernel of=/dev/fd0   # let /dev/fd0 be a kernel image
> rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/<partition>  # tell it to use <partition> as /
> rdev -R /dev/fd0 1              # tell it to mount / readonly

Yes indeed, I have always liked this approach. It works just fine
and has saved me a time or two when moving stuff here to there...

Another way too... You can simply install GRUB/LILO (your choice) on
a floppy along with that kernel. Then you have a tool to recover from
all sorts of possibly strange things that might happen one day ;)
--
Jeff

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org