Installing Lilo without Linux

Guillermo Pereyra Irujo gpirujo at mdq.com
Mon Oct 8 13:18:14 PDT 2001

> But how do I make my partition bootable again? Can I make a bootdisk
> with chroot do I can install Lilo? I have tried to bootdisk hint but
> there is now documentation and it doesn't work for me.
>
> How do I make a bootdisk (with chroot) or are there other solutions
> (except first installing Redhat/Mandrake/Suse and using their chroot).

There's no need for a shell and chroot, not even for lilo. Make an image
of the kernel and tell it to mount your lfs partition as root with:

dd if=/dev/kernel of=/dev/fd0   # let /dev/fd0 be a kernel image
rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/<partition>  # tell it to use <partition> as /
rdev -R /dev/fd0 1              # tell it to mount / readonly

Just boot from the disk.

--
Guillermo Pereyra Irujo
Mar del Plata, Argentina