Installing Lilo without Linux

Jeroen Coumans jeroencoumans at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 8 13:06:14 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sanjuro Europe" <sanjuro_e at yahoo.com>
To: <blfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org>
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2001 9:52 PM
Subject: Installing Lilo without Linux

> I am moving my partitions around and have decided to back up my LFS
> partition to a CD using Ghost so I can freely move my Windows
partitions
> around. And after that using Ghost to put my partition back.
>
> But how do I make my partition bootable again? Can I make a bootdisk
> with chroot do I can install Lilo? I have tried to bootdisk hint but
> there is now documentation and it doesn't work for me.
>
> How do I make a bootdisk (with chroot) or are there other solutions
> (except first installing Redhat/Mandrake/Suse and using their chroot).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sanjuro
You can always try grub - check both hints on how to use it. Once you've
booted into your lfs partition, adjust /etc/fstab and /etc/lilo.conf
with the appropriate partitions and run /sbin/lilo. Or, check out the
documentation for lilo on how to make a bootdisk. Using grub is simpler
though, you can boot from the commandline. It's at version 0.9 now, so
hopefully it will soon be declared stable and we can start a discussion
on using grub instead of lilo in LFS... :) (No flames intended, just
personal preference)
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org