Installing Lilo without Linux

Rutger Swarts ikkeswar at dds.nl
Mon Oct 8 13:11:50 PDT 2001

On Mon, 08 Oct 2001 21:52:40 +0200
Sanjuro Europe <sanjuro_e at yahoo.com> confused the world by writing:

> I am moving my partitions around and have decided to back up my LFS
> partition to a CD using Ghost so I can freely move my Windows partitions
> around. And after that using Ghost to put my partition back.
>
> But how do I make my partition bootable again? Can I make a bootdisk
> with chroot do I can install Lilo? I have tried to bootdisk hint but
> there is now documentation and it doesn't work for me.
>
> How do I make a bootdisk (with chroot) or are there other solutions
> (except first installing Redhat/Mandrake/Suse and using their chroot).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sanjuro
>
> --

I have had a similar problem several times after installing windows on a
box containing already an installed linux system. Windows install wipes
out the MBR. My solution was to use a BD containing chroot so I could get
into the linux partition and run lilo from there. Most of the times this
worked but it failed once. Then I solved it by making a new lilo.conf
conaining just one image-item on ther ramdisk, specifying paths like
image=/mnt/rhat/boot/vmlinux-2.4.6 and then issue
/mnt/rhat/sbin/lilo -C /root/lilocfg.
-------------------     -----------
 on partition            on ramdisk created by bootdisk

This also works.

Rutger

--
People flaming me on bad spelling are probably right and can donate on 581311108
for the payment of my classes. That might even work. ;^D

 * ICQ: 74075168
 * Page: members.tripodnet.nl/cnarf
 * Mail: hit reply...
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org