/etc/mtab in a read-only medium

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.uklinux.net
Mon Oct 8 09:08:25 PDT 2001

Fernando Arbeiza wrote:

> On Mon 08 Oct 2001 17:17, Fernando Arbeiza wrote:
>
> <...>
>
> I only get more questions:
>
>> ·Create /etc/mtab as a symbolic link to a file in ramdisk. Should I mount
>> the ramdisk with the '-n' flag?
>
> Should I mount first the root partition (which is actually the CD) with
> the -n flag; then mount the ramdisk with the -n flag and finally remount
> both the root partition and the ramdisk with the -f flag in order to
> include them in /etc/mtab?
>
> Thanks a lot, I know I've made too many questions...
>
> Excuse me     ;)
>
>> Fernando Arbeiza
>> Cantabria, Spain

I made the link  /etc/mtab  ->  /proc/mounts.  You need to mount proc
within your linuxrc script before you do anything with mount.  Then you do
not need the -n flag.  I did it slightly differently

I made the ramdisk the root and mounted /proc and /cdrom onto it.  You can
mount anything onto the CD provided you have the mount points.  You will
need to change the mountfs and checkfs scripts since the cd is always read
only.

I made etc.tar, root.tar on the partition that becomes the CD; and un-tar
these in the start up script.

If you make the CD the root then you will have problems with /tmp.  You can
remake /var in the start up script.

Good luck

Chris

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org