/etc/mtab in a read-only medium

Fernando Arbeiza arbeizaf at ono.com
Mon Oct 8 08:17:55 PDT 2001

Hi,

I burned a bootable CD in order to build the LFS from it. But I didn't
remember that mount need to write into /etc/mtab which now has read-only
permissions. The CD refused to boot (so I didn't get an useful CD, I get a
little silver frisbee). Now, I have to choose among three diferent
alternatives before burning another CD:

·Create /etc/mtab as a symbolic link to a file in ramdisk. Should I mount the
ramdisk with the '-n' flag?

·Create /etc/mtab as a symbolic link to /proc/mounts and mounting every
filesystem with the -n flag. But, from 'man mount':

	'It is possible to replace /etc/mtab by a symbolic link
       to /proc/mounts, but some information is lost that way, and  in  par­
       ticular  working  with the loop device will be less convenient. Also,
       pathnames containing spaces are handled correctly  by  /etc/mtab  but
       not (yet) by /proc/mounts.'

·Mount every filesystem with the -n flag. Is there any problem if I mount all
the filesystems this way (losing all the information /etc/mtab provides)?

Could somebody help me, please? Which is the better alternative?

Fernando Arbeiza
Cantabria, Spain
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org