security

Fergus Belford fbmail at ozemail.com.au
Mon Oct 8 03:48:16 PDT 2001

also sprach Joachim Blaabjerg:

> Hi
>
> I'm just curious... A lot of people here has started talking about portmap,
> inetd, mountd, ftpd, telnetd and so on... Didn't mr. Belford say he used
> his machine as a basic workstation (based on LFS)? Is it likely that he has
> installed portmapd and inetd just for fun?

I've been following the thread since I started with my intial help
request.  A lot of
it is way over my head (due entirely to my ignorance), however I can
assure everyone that
I don't run portmapd, inetd, ftpd, telnetd or sshd. Running netstat -l
gives me the following:

Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address
State
tcp        0      0 *:6000                  *:*
LISTEN
Active UNIX domain sockets (only servers)
Proto RefCnt Flags       Type       State         I-Node Path
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     274
/tmp/.X11-unix/X0

At this point on my learning curve, the above means SFA to me.  Got a
long way to go!

> I guess my point here is:
> If `netstat -l` shows nothing when you're connected to the internet and X
> is running and everything, you're rather safe. Start X with the `-nolisten
> tcp` argument to be sure, and, if you really want to, set up a
> iptables/ipchains/whatever firewall script.
> I'm usually quite paranoid too, but a basic workstation with no open ports
> is (IMHO) not likely exposed to any great risks of being compromized on the
> 'net.
>
> Just my two cents

My thanks to all who responded - seems I have kicked off an interesting
discussion.
I'll try to keep up!

--
Fergus Belford