security

Joachim Blaabjerg styx at mailbox.as
Mon Oct 8 03:05:26 PDT 2001

Hi

I'm just curious... A lot of people here has started talking about portmap,
inetd, mountd, ftpd, telnetd and so on... Didn't mr. Belford say he used
his machine as a basic workstation (based on LFS)? Is it likely that he has
installed portmapd and inetd just for fun? I guess my point here is:
If `netstat -l` shows nothing when you're connected to the internet and X
is running and everything, you're rather safe. Start X with the `-nolisten
tcp` argument to be sure, and, if you really want to, set up a
iptables/ipchains/whatever firewall script.
I'm usually quite paranoid too, but a basic workstation with no open ports
is (IMHO) not likely exposed to any great risks of being compromized on the
'net.

Just my two cents

--
Joachim Blaabjerg