why "read-only" ?

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Oct 7 13:29:20 PDT 2001

On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 11:43:31PM +0200, Stefano wrote:
> I built a brand new LFS from CVS and everything went fine.
> The problem came up at reboot time, the system is being mounted
>  read-only and no login shell at prompt, but "init-2.05".
> Few commands are available and can't halt or reboot.
> Each script has been copied from the downloaded files, so they should be ok.
> What's wrong?

Can you show us what exactly it is you see on your screen?

Start with the message where it says that init is booting.

> I built it from the old LFS in the first hard disk (the new one is in the second one) and the bootloader is in a Mandrake distribution in the first hard disk as well.
> I'd like to keep the new LFS totally separated from the first hard disk so i want to configure lilo only for the second hard disk but, according to the book, isn't good to run lilo inside the system, what is the safest procedure to achieve this?

What's wrong with the way the book does it? First update Mandrake's lilo so
you can boot LFS, then once in LFS, run LFS' lilo  so that the MBR on hda
is updated and the latest lilo code is in the MBR.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org