firewalling...

Ian Molton imolton at clara.net
Sun Oct 7 12:11:35 PDT 2001

On stardate Sun, 7 Oct 2001 13:53:21 -0500 (CDT)
alteridentity at yahoo.com began the full scale invasion of earth with the
following words:

> On  7 Oct, Ian Molton wrote:
> > On stardate Sun, 7 Oct 2001 12:41:08 -0500 (CDT)
> > alteridentity at yahoo.com began the full scale invasion of earth with the
> > following words:
>
> {*snip*}
>
> > Ok, but dont take my script as 'decent'. Im trying to digest stuff I
> > found on the 'net but its hard to tell how old / new / stupid that
> > stuff is...
>
> Roger That, Ian - I'm dealing with the same types of issues concerning
> the ipchains HOWTO - it's long on prosaic and philosophical content,
> very short on practical examples.

Exactly. I'd suggest you investigate iptables though - it looks a lot less
'crufty' and just tidier in general.

> Will try to subject your configuration to some critical analysis, but
> unfortunately I'm probably somewhat behind you on the research trail.

It looks like Daniel Roethlisberger is our man here...

I think it would be really cool if we all thrash this out (and learn
something in the process) and come up with a 'LFS approved' firewalling /
nat system. Hopefully this is a topic that will interest a lot of us and
get a good pounding.

> BTW, the invasion is proceeding apace and all is happening as planned
> ;^)

Need a firebreathing dragon in your ranks? (ie. me :-)
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org