security

Edward Pinski pinskie at physics.uc.edu
Sun Oct 7 06:38:04 PDT 2001

No firewall is a bad thing.  Running a linux computer without a firewall
is quite risky and will get u to be hacked quite fast if they do a few
nmap scouts ip scouts.  They find you, and notice no firewall, etc.  You
could be in trouble, and might have to totally redo your whole LFS, which
would suck butty.  What I would look into doing is use an iptables script
that protects you.  Also I would make sure not to run any stupid servers
like telnet, rsh, rlogin, etc.  They are dumb and cleartext.  Also I would
look to block your X-Windows ports as well, so that nobody can connect to
your X-Windows server which auto runs when you startx.

Edward Pinski