security

Fergus Belford fbmail at ozemail.com.au
Sun Oct 7 05:51:26 PDT 2001

Good evening all,

I have been reading numerous articles lately on the Net about security.
I have to say that I am now more confused than before I started.

I run a single box, an home PC, no networking other than connecting to
the Internet via a modem. I have shadow password thingy installed (this
OS is LFS3.0). Should I take further measures? I accept that life is
full of risk, so I don't take the paranoid approach - apologies Jeff
Neitzel, I have read your excellent hint and implemented most of it.
It's just that I have reached the age where "C'est la vie" is often the
most appropriate response to life's glitches.

Despite this seeming unconcern, I would like to hear the opinions of
others on what level of security I should reasonably implement.  Bear in
mind, this PC is a home jobby, nothing of importance is stored on it -
well nothing that can't be built or typed or downloaded again.

Most of the articles I have read assume the reader is master of some
gargantuan network, and either totally ignore small users such as
myself, or make sneering side remarks about "home users".  Hence my
confusion (and a wee bit of annoyance at their insulting lack of
manners).
I appreciate that time & energy is valuable to all of you, so just some
general pointers would be great to get me started in the right
direction.

Many thanks in advance

--
Fergus Belford