cups and 3 printing hints?

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Sun Oct 7 03:39:27 PDT 2001

On Sunday 07 October 2001 06:11, deXter Rutecki wrote:

> > I'm never logged in as root, but I'm a privileged user. I make heavy
> > use of groups on this machine. Of course, /dev/lp0 is group privlp
> > and 0660 . So, there is no need to be root to cat a file to lp device.
> > Of course, I am a member of group privlp =)
>
> How about printing from apps such as mozilla or staroffice then?

Hmm... write a handy shellscript that does it? We've essentially done that at
work - our machines are mostly SGI, but we're in the process of switching to
Linux. Because they use different printing systems, we've added a shellscript
to the Linux machines that emulates the "lp -d<printername>" commands used on
the SGIs...

Wonderful things, shell scripts...

Simon.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org