cups and 3 printing hints?

J.A. Neitzel jan.listbox at belvento.org
Fri Oct 5 18:40:44 PDT 2001

Craig Colton wrote:
<snip />
>> Simple question... Does cups need an /etc/printcap ? If so, does it
>> generate this automagically for you? Must you do this manually?

> I could be wrong, but I think CUPS does use /etc/printcap, but not like the
> older systems did. Using cups with my epson printer, my /etc/printcap has one
> line - epson: - which is my quite imaginative name for it. Did you use the
> cups administrator to set it up? I think this is how my printcap file was
> created.

cups administrator? I don't know what that is.
I used lpadmin (and friends =)) to add the printer. It, cups, did seem
to make an /etc/printcap containing nothing more than "Canon:". Like
yours. I guess my problem is, when things didn't work...

I was just sitting there looking at the cups log files. When I didn't
see any obvious errors, I automatically thought of that printcap file.
It sure doesn't look like a legitimate printcap file to me. I mean,
I've seen printcap files before, and they are pure monsters. Then here
is this little /etc/printcap that cups made with "Canon:" in it.
Says me to myself, "Hmmm, now that is fishy!"
--
Jeff

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org