Setting up a print server. Help still needed

Ian Molton imolton at clara.net
Fri Oct 5 14:22:52 PDT 2001

On stardate Fri, 5 Oct 2001 12:50:31 -0400
Jason began the full scale invasion of earth with the following words:

> > > Thank you all for the replies. But I'm still having an hard
> > > time because
> > > I can't understand what's the job of each thing so I still
> > > dunno what
> > > I need. Here goes some postings you made and my questions:
> >
> > Putting these together, this is what you get:
> >

> > Unix --p--> Ghostscript ---l--> lpr -l-> spooler -l-> printer
> >                                  ^
> > Winders -w-> driver -l-> samba --+
>
> 	I'm not very familiar with the lprng (Next Genration) tool but in CUPS
> the rasterizing and spooling and everything seems to be all taken care
> of by CUPS with it's printer definition files.  I've got a PS capable
> printer at home so my path looks like:
>
> Unix --p--> CUPS --p--> Printer

Unix apps generate postscript, so all cups does is a bit of twiddling and
feed it straight to your printer.

for non-PS printers cups uses ghostscript.

CUPS does not do any rasterising I can see.

using cups, it is still

Unix --p--> Ghostscript ---l--> CUPS_lpr -l-> CUPS_spooler -l-> printer
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org