ATAPI Zip Drive

skip gaede sgaede at mediaone.net
Fri Oct 5 13:08:13 PDT 2001

I am trying to create a Linux partition on a ZIP drive, and it's not
going so well. I can create the partition using fdisk /dev/sdc, but when
I invoke mke2fs /dev/sdc1 I get an error and a hang:

mke2fs -b 1024 /dev/sdc1

mke2fs 1.24, 30-Aug-2001 for EXT2 FS `I,
Warning: could not erase sector 2: Attempt to write block from
filesystem resulted in short write
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=1024 (log=0)
Fragment size=1024 (log=0)
24384 inodes, 97264 blocks
4863 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=1
12 block groups
8192 blocks per group, 8192 fragments per group
2032 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
         8193, 24577, 40961, 57345, 73729

Writing inode tables: done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information:

<hang>

Can someone explain what's going on and offer suggestions?

(Another wierdness: I can't mount a ZIP disk formatted under Windows.)

Thanks,
Skip

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org