cups and 3 printing hints?

J.A. Neitzel jan.listbox at belvento.org
Fri Oct 5 11:33:14 PDT 2001

Fabio Fracassi wrote:
> On Friday 05 October 2001 18:19, J.A. Neitzel wrote:
>> I don't know if any of the printing hint authors read here... But,
>> here is my question/suggestion. Why have 3 printing hints? Why not
>> simply combine the best of all 3 into 1. Why do I suggest this?

> Why not its a good idea. Any Volunters?
> I don't have time for such a thing at the moment.
> My printing hint is, as you can see plainly old, and as it states only a kind
> of memory script.
> Since I wrote it I haven't done anything on my printing system since i rarely
> use it, and when I do it works.
> When I reinstall my LFS system, (which I will do at some time in the next
> weeks) I will probably go for CUPS, but last year it was still badly
> documented.

Well, I can't volunteer for such an endeavour, but what you say makes
perfect sense. I mean, if it works then there is nothing to fix. Right?
I'm probably going to just install LPRng and be done with it. Since,
as below, printing is not my cup of tea.

>> Even with 3 hints, I still had to murk in all of the docs for every
>> package to be sure the hints were correct... Frankly, with 3 hints I
>> would tend to believe this not to be necessary. It was necessary.
>> Really, I would have done better without having the hints at all and
>> doing it the old-fashioned way from the start.

> Hints never guaranty to be error free, but I agree that they shold be.
> I don't think any of the authors would mind if you correct a hint, I mean
> thats the way OpenSource works.

FWIW, I'm one of these anal-retentive perfectionists =)
Really, I border on obsessive-compulsive. Bad bad bad.
This annoys me to the last, but the results are usually pretty good.

Indeed, OpenSource is good like you say. I noticed a little thing
in the cups hint and sent a message to the author and cc: hint-admin...
I haven't heard any reply yet, but that's how it goes. Anyway,
OpenSource has allowed me to send quite a number of documentation
fixes over the years. That's all I can do; I'm no programmer.

But in regards to perfection...
My shadowpasswd_plus.txt *is* perfect! *_big_wink_* ;o)
No it's certainly not perfect. yet...

I guess it all comes down to the amount of time a person has available
to do something.

> Everyone who is realy interested in a topic will have to read the
> documentation nevertheless.

Of course, but since printing doesn't really interest me that is why
I wanted to use the hint(s). Anyway, I had to read the docs. I learned
stuff, but I still don't have a working printing system. Oh well, at
least I have ghostscript now and can look at postscript and pdf docs.
This is a good result; it's just not the intended result yet. Such is
how life goes... =)

>> I've never been much for printing anyway.

> Me not either

Agreed.
Isn't printing stuff on paper kind of *anti* computer??? ;o)
--
Jeff

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org