cups and 3 printing hints?

Fabio Fracassi turiya at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Oct 5 11:56:03 PDT 2001

On Friday 05 October 2001 18:19, J.A. Neitzel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If this is on the wrong newsgroup please tell me so.
> Simple question... Does cups need an /etc/printcap ? If so, does it
> generate this automagically for you? Must you do this manually?
>
> I don't know if any of the printing hint authors read here... But,
> here is my question/suggestion. Why have 3 printing hints? Why not
> simply combine the best of all 3 into 1. Why do I suggest this?

Why not its a good idea. Any Volunters?
I don't have time for such a thing at the moment.
My printing hint is, as you can see plainly old, and as it states only a kind
of memory script.
Since I wrote it I haven't done anything on my printing system since i rarely
use it, and when I do it works.
When I reinstall my LFS system, (which I will do at some time in the next
weeks) I will probably go for CUPS, but last year it was still badly
documented.

> Even with 3 hints, I still had to murk in all of the docs for every
> package to be sure the hints were correct... Frankly, with 3 hints I
> would tend to believe this not to be necessary. It was necessary.
> Really, I would have done better without having the hints at all and
> doing it the old-fashioned way from the start.

Hints never guaranty to be error free, but I agree that they shold be.
I don't think any of the authors would mind if you correct a hint, I mean
thats the way OpenSource works.

Everyone who is realy interested in a topic will have to read the
documentation nevertheless.

> Maybe I'm missing what these hints were trying to achieve..?
> Anyway, *please* don't interpret my words here as antagonistic.
> I'm not trying to generate flame-worthy posts, but I am simply
> trying to offer constructive criticism.

Of course.

> I've never been much for printing anyway.

Me not either

Fabio
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org