first WM after X - survey?

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Fri Oct 5 04:27:38 PDT 2001

On Friday 05 October 2001 04:15, J.A. Neitzel wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I was just curious... Of all the people out there who install XFree86
> on their new LFS Systems, what is the first window manager (WM) you
> bother to install? I guess this is kind of a survey.

WindowMaker. I usually install KDE reasonably soon, but I don't actually use
it as a desktop, only for some of the apps it provides.

As for TWM, I have a co-worker who uses it exclusively, and I have to admit,
it works well for him (though he's massively customised things). Personally
though, I can't tolerate anything that doesn't have solid keyboard support -
both WindowMaker and Sawfish are very good in this respect. I use the former
at home, the latter at work (the system guys have refused to install WM on
our new linux servers, even though *everyone* uses it on the older SGI
machines).

Simon
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org