devfs and bootscripts...

Fabio Fracassi f.fracassi at gmx.net
Fri Oct 5 02:46:59 PDT 2001

On Friday 05 October 2001 00:23, Sergey Ostrovsky wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 05:35:45PM +0100, Mark Ellis wrote:
> > The other use for devfsd is with kernel modules that provide a dev entry.
> > When dev is probed for a nonexistent entry, devfsd kicks off modprobe,
> > module gets loaded (if it exists) and pops up a device node. This is the
> > only reason I still run devfsd.
> >
> > Mark
>
> Bad news for you ... You should stop using devfsd immediately - kmod starts
> modprobe and loaded device itself registers device nodes ...
> Sorry.
>
> Sergey

Yes, but kmod doesn't work with devfs, because kmod needs access to one of
the /dev special files, which don't jet exist. The devfs then creates them,
without a driver attached, and kmod creates the driver, without a /dev file
attached (and will probably discard it upon failure)

devfsd takes care of first creating the /dev file and then calling modprobe.

I hope that this part will someday be packed into kernelspace, and devfsd
gets deprecated.

Fabio
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org