devfs and bootscripts...

Plasmatic plasmatic at softhome.net
Fri Oct 5 01:27:20 PDT 2001

10/5/01 1:26:53 AM, Ian Molton <imolton at clara.net> wrote:

>On stardate Thu, 4 Oct 2001 18:23:31 -0400
>Sergey began the full scale invasion of earth with the following words:
>
>> Bad news for you ... You should stop using devfsd immediately - kmod
>> starts
>> modprobe and loaded device itself registers device nodes ...
>> Sorry.
>
>Since when? why doesnt my sg driver start when I access
>/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/generic ?
>--

That's why you need devfsd :)  With a regular device file, it already exists, and when it's accessed kmod kicks in and modprobe's for you.
However, with devfs the file doesn't yet exist.  It's up to the device driver to create the file, and since the device driver isn't loaded, there is no
file; a classic chicken and egg circumstance.  Where devfsd comes in is that it watches for this file access.  When ANY file in /dev is
accessed, devfsd will check it's own config file for what to do, be it loading modules, making links, or running programs.  With devfsd loaded,
your sg driver would start automatically.  THIS is what devfsd is about :)  Of course, not everyone needs this, but I sure find it handy.  I use it all
the time for my sound card (although I'll have to set that one back up again ;)  When I try to access /dev/dsp, modprobe runs on my driver,
drivers are unloaded, with very little decrease in speed.  This saves memory and cleans up my /dev very nicely.

Of course, this is only half of what devfsd does, but it's probably the nicest, and the best reason to use it.  Again, your mileage may vary.

-Plasmatic
Plasmatic(at)SoftHome.net

Note: The above are the thoughts, feelings, and reasonings of the author.  There may be errors or illogical reasoning involved.  If you happen to
find any such errors, please correct them politely instead of flaming.  The author doesn't own any asbestos and would prefer to keep it that way
;)

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org