termcap question

Scott Haugaard dino at coprolite.com
Thu Oct 4 12:14:49 PDT 2001

On Thursday 04 October 2001 09:45 am, you wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 09:40:07AM -0700, Scott Haugaard wrote:
> > I've run into a couple of programs that request /etc/termcap and/or the
> > termcap libraries.  I assumed that ncurses and terminfo replace this, but
> > some programs still seem to want it.  XEmacs, for instance, won't
> > compile. GNU Emacs compiles just fine.  Anybody out there have any
> > suggestions for how I should deal with termcap?
>
> The change from termcap to ncurses is often transparent. Most of the times
> you can get away by changing -ltermcap to -lncurses in the link command,
> LDFLAGS or wherever. We do something similar to install the procinfo
> package.
>
> If they explicitly require an /etc/termcap file, then I don't know. I
> haven't come across such a program.
>
> You could always try to fake it. Download the termcap library from
> ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/termcap/ and see if there's an example /etc/termcap
> file you could use. Have XEmacs link against ncurses and it may work.
Thanks.

Turns out as far as XEmacs, if you have Wine installed it thinks it should
build with Windows support.  You have to specify --with-msw=no in the
configure options.  The error about termcap is bogus.

As for libtermcap, I was able to compile it eventually.  I used
termcap-2.0.8, but you have to edit tparam.c:
/*#if defined(HAVE_STRING_H) || defined(STDC_HEADERS)
#define bcopy(s, d, n) memcpy ((d), (s), (n))
#endif*  -not needed on linux??
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/bug-gnu-utils/2001-01/msg00126.html -srh*/
then it will compile.  I'm leaving it off for now, since I've solved my
immediat problem with XEmacs, but if anybody wants to compile libtermcap from
source, the above hack is how you do it.

Why is the option in ncurses (LFS 3.0) set to disable termcap fallback
support (--disable-termcap)?  Just curious.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org