first WM after X - survey?

Marc Heerdink marc at koelkast.net
Thu Oct 4 11:06:56 PDT 2001

J.A. Neitzel sent these bits on Thu, 04 Oct 2001 11:15:49 -0500:
> Greetings,
>
> I was just curious... Of all the people out there who install XFree86
> on their new LFS Systems, what is the first window manager (WM) you
> bother to install? I guess this is kind of a survey.
>
> For me, I always install Blackbox immediately after X. It's prettier
> than TWM and also doesn't need everything under the sun installed
> to get a working setup. I've always liked Blackbox best, but that's
> me. I installed another LFS recently, with X, and decided I'd do
> without BB... And you know? TWM really is not half bad! Am I serious?
> I don't know, but it was an interesting exercise in antiquity.
>
> So, if this is a survey... Here is one vote for Blackbox (BB).

Blackbox indeed. I install it to test basic X functionality, before I
build libraries that depend on X. The reason I picked blackbox is simple:
good-looking and little dependencies.

When all required libs are installed, I install and use Enlightenment.
Enlightenment is my default wm for my default user, so I use it about 100%
of the time. Blackbox remains the default wm for root because I don't want
a littered home directory for root and because Blackbox always works.

- L. Flon

Marc Heerdink
marc_heerdink at softhome.net
http://www.koelkast.net/